Saturday, 8 May 2010

An urchin's revenge


I swear that the urchin chased me.
And I succumbed to it's attack.
It's my fault that he has to sacrifice his spines.
Into my calf.

Dive hazards occur naturally for each dives. Accident happens when we are less alert and concentration reels beyond 100%.

DIVE ALERT!


Urchins. There's a sea of them in HK waters. Well, I bumped into them in all my research sites. Maybe they coincide with my niche of study. Their proliferation are highly prompted by nutrient enriched waters. I would say, transboundary water circulation from neighbouring areas eg Pearl River Delta, China.

These polluted waters travelled all the way from southeast China and spans their strength across Hong Kong towards the Pacific Ocean. Extensive travelling they have got there.

During one of my dives, I accidentally-carelessly-innocently-unwantingly-regretfully dropped a piece of my weight onto an urchin!! And crushed, the urchin became. I felt really bad and embaressed by the careless mistake I did. All I can do was just stare, because I can 'tput the crushed urchin back into one...

A few days ago, I was again diving in a massive urchin bombshell at Lamma. The water was good with visibility 1m or less. We were lucky because there was a little sunshine. =)

Lamma actually gave me a good look about Hong Kong. There's so much to see and to discover in these turbulent waters. I've never thought that I would find biodiverse array of soft corals, frogfishes, porcupines, goats, unicorns, nudibranchs, variety of anemones, xmas trees, etc in such an environment. But like I said, HK has got hidden treasures at hidden places.

I was so occupied admiring a puffer fish shielded under a rock that I did not notice an urchin moved its way towards my back. As I turned around to check out on other divers, and with one finning, my calf ended up with 13 urchin's pricks......... It was a forceful blow as I was kicking my way to turn around. Just imagine urchin penetrating 5mm....

I swear, the urchin was not there when I waded through the rocks....

................................................
And the urchins lived to tell their tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment