I seek comfort in them. The sense of unconditional love and undivided attention.
I still remember those times when my mum was against the idea of keeping pets when I was small. Sad but still not willing to give up, I adore playing at the drain [yeah, in better words; the ‘longkang’] at the back of my sweet home. That is where all those abandoned street cats and dogs would be. People stuffed them into the big rubbish bins or just throw the poor creatures inside the drain. Night and day, I could hear their cries fade in vain. My amusement would be staring at the next door auntie’s kitchen; where she kept all her well-groomed stray cats.
On one occasion, the aunty couldn’t afford to maintain anymore and decided to discard all of them back outside [poor cats]. As I’m still a very naïve kid back then [I was barely 9 years old], I put those animals back at her back door thinking that they might have escaped from her house instead. Immediately after I left the kittens there, the aunty dashed out and shouted furiously at me, asking me to throw away the frightened kittens. Puzzled, I ran back crying out my heart and soul scared by the angry auntie’s face. Auntie came banging at our door and confronted my mum for the ‘crime’ that I committed, making a big issue out of it. My guardian angel mum consoled me and explained the details carefully to me.
That was the first time my mum was touched by my instincts with animals.
Now, I have three cats at home. All three, are well taken care of by my mum and grandma. You see, how things twist and turn?! Leopard, Tiger and Pakpak touched their hearts and wins a cosy spot inside of my home. They are left free to roam as they wish and even sneaked into our rooms! The adorable God’s creations have been my family’s companion for four eventful years.
Leopard lazing on my bed!!!
The elegant Tiger with looks that 'kill'!
Ever so playful Pakpak cuddling comfortably in my sister's arms.
With much passion, I have adapt to rescuing and adopting animals, until an extent that people assumed that my house is a shelter for animals [No, I am SO SURE my mum and grandma would rebel at the thought of it!]. No joke, people do come around throwing animal carcasses in our front yard! Well, that place houses a huge animal cemetery ground (fish, cats, dogs, birds, rats) and where we pay our last respects to our beloved companions. Sadness overwhelmed us each time we passed by the burial spots.
Of course, there were those which were taken back by God as He loves them more than we do.
In loving memory;
- Zebra [Leopard's and Tiger's triplets]
- the ever so loyal and obedient Baby
- the kitty with a big headed Tai Tao Pok
- BabY the sick pup
- Chubbee the abandoned Tzih-Tzu
- loving XuetXuet [PakPak's twin sis]
- the yet-to-be-named kitten….
They will always be missed and remembered.
No comments:
Post a Comment