Hi Hong Kong,
I remembered clearly 01/09/2009. The first time I stepped into Hong Kong. A foreign land. No idea of what awaits me. No expectation of what lies ahead. Not well prepared to embrace the cultural shock and differences. Not knowing that I'd sustain here until now.
I vividly recall when I first step down from the plane. Ok. I was all alone. Lost and unsure. Blur and insecure. I really do not know, where did courage found its way and accompanied me all the way. It is indeed, a BIG step.
I still remember how shocked I was every time I had an encounter with Hongkie. Startled by their straight-forward and none-of-my-business manners, I was always victimised emotionally. Now, I understood. IT is in their culture. Sarcasm is their manners. Realistic is how they view. Highly system- and policy-oriented SAR. The business manifested society. A financial hub.
Hong Kong surprised me in many way, as much as how I surprised myself. And there's never an end to new discoveries and learning to overcome or embrace them. Small but compact. Flexible in many ways but still rigid.
Hong Kong proved to be a good touristy place. Excellent transportation. Informative resources. Accessible in every way. A planned society. Too many things to see and to be delighted with. But, only short term. Nobody would tourist for 4 years in Hong Kong.
One thing I learned, in a multicultural society, we blend in not by adapting and losing our own cultures. But to adapt and enrich the society with my culture. I am not a local, I am a foreigner.
No comments:
Post a Comment